VALENTINO AND AMAZON JOIN IN A LAWSUIT OVER COUNTERFEIT

Suing Kaitlyn Pan for replicating the Italian fashion house’s studded shoe design.

By Balthazar Malevolent

VALENTINO AND AMAZON JOIN IN A LAWSUIT OVER COUNTERFEIT

Valentino and Amazon have filed a joint lawsuit against Kaitlyn Pan, a women's shoe retailer based in New York who is being sued for replicating the shoe designs of the Italian fashion house, including its signature Garavani Rockstud shoe, and using the platform of the Tech giant as one of its retail points.

Valentino.

Amazon, who shut down Kaitlyn Pan's account on its platform back in September 2019, commented, "Despite multiple notices of infringement and a cease and discontinue order, Kaitlyn Pan continues to import, distribute, sell and offer infringing products on kaitlynpanshoes.com," and has "flagrantly and willfully disregarded the intellectual property of Valentino" by attempting to apply for a trademark.

This lawsuit marks the first time that both parties united in litigation. Business of Fashion also notes that "Amazon has long been rumored to be preparing a new luxury fashion site to rival Alibaba's Tmall Luxury Pavilion, but LVMH and other top luxury groups say the risk of falsification on such platforms is high."

Valentino has been created in 1960 when Garavani opened a fashion house on Via Condotti in Rome, Italy with the backing of Giancarlo Giammetti, his father's associate.

Valentino's international debut was in Florence, in 1962. The fashion house has designed the wedding dresses for icons such as Elizabeth Taylor, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lopez, Courtney Cox, Sophie Hunter and Princess Madeleine of Sweden.

In 1998, Garavani and Giammetti sold the company to HdP, an Italian conglomerate partially owned by the late Fiat president Gianni Agnelli, for around $300 million. In 2002 HdP sold Valentino S.p. A. for $210 million to Marzotto Apparel, a fashion company headquartered in Milan.

In 2012, Qatar acquired Valentino through an investment vehicle called Mayhoola for Investments S.P.C. for 700 million EUR.

Interesting fact:

Rick Owens has openly vowed to never sell his brand; as Dazed notes, as of 2017 "80% of Owenscorp is owned by Rick Owens himself, and the other 20% is owned by Owens' commercial director and CEO, Luca Ruggeri and Elsa Lanzo."

No results

Shop now